TorontoSupraClub.com
October 19, 2017, 10:42:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 87 Mk3 Restro  (Read 267 times)
ryu77us

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:52:23 PM »

Hello Everyone, my name is Ryan I recently purchased a 1987 N/A in London for a really good price, has some rust but nothing that the sand blast will not fix. I am looking to swap out the engine and trying to figure out options is crazy.. there are a bunch. The purpose of the car is simply to be a cruising car, I never plan to run anymore than under 300 HP at the most. Currently the car is equipped with a 7MGE and a W58, the transmission is shot for sure.

Should I look at getting another rebuilt W58 and mate with a 1JZ-GTE using the adapter bellhousing, this seems to be the most cost effective but there are mixed reviews on the web. It is hard though to get an accurate gauge to what the W58 can handle because everyone on these forums are saying they are running 350+ and the transmissions can't handle it.

There is the option of finding a decent 7M-GTE with an R154, I do however worry about the head gasket being an issue.

Or a 1JZ with a R154 or a CD009 from a 350z which was recommended to me.

Any insight would be great. Also does anyone have a W58 or R154 in good condition they would be looking to sell? I am also looking for rear bumper bracketry and exterior trim mouldings as I have pulled mine off to do the body work and am finding that the trim itself is the culprit for the rust, and needs to be replaced.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:55:05 PM by ryu77us » Logged
Donn29

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »

If you don't drive the car hard often a W58 could work behind a stockish 1J or 7M.  MK2 Supra guys do it often, like myself, but the MK2 is much lighter so there is usually less stress on the trans.  7M Head gaskets are usually not a big issue, they can be if you overheat the motor, or push a stock engine hard for a long time.  Personally I would suggest becoming familiar with the work and parts needed for either engine/trans combo and then keep an eye out for stuff in your price range.  Preferably buying a car you can test drive that is rotted out or something, since it will be mostly complete and you'll spend less time buying/finding parts.  There are a lot of us on FB these days too: here is my FB, https://www.facebook.com/Donn29
The TSC Group FB, https://www.facebook.com/groups/TorontoSupraClub/
And the event page for the yearly meet in August, https://www.facebook.com/events/1320809291368078
You just missed a Supra Meet in London in May! 
ryu77us

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:21:57 PM »

Thanks for the help!

So the last few days I have been working away at trying to remove this W58... Does anyone have any advice about the top two bolts? I am letting them soak overnight with a penetrating oil. I am going to use a 6 point on the bolt... The right seems in there extremely tight. I can get on it from the top with a modified 14mm wrench. That left side though looks like an absolute nightmare, how do you get a wrench on it? Do people tend to remove something in the engine compartment? Is the engine able to tilt a bit (loosening engine mount). Any advice that anyone has would be great.

Also, has anyone rebuilt a W58 before? Am I completely insane for wanting to take it apart and try and diagnosing it or repairing it.
Donn29

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »

For the top two bolts I use a bunch of long extensions so you can use an impact or large socket wrench from near the shifter.  3' or more and I don't bother with any penetrating oils.  Or you can pull the motor and trans together.  I either use the long extensions or pull the engine and trans together. 

Not many people rebuild the W58, but it should be able to be done, but will probably not be as cheap as another transmission, though you might get lucky.  What happened to it? 
ryu77us

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 01:25:09 AM »

Got the tranny out! Little bit of heat on that block and the bolt broke loose. The transmission was making a terrible grinding... I wasn't sure it was it but it wasn't looking like it was the diff (disconnected tranny from it and ran the car, noise persisted). Once I got the transmission and compared the feel and sound of the input shaft to another W58 I could feel something was up with one of the bearings.

Quick question, my parking brake hardware is crap, so I through it out... Started looking for a parking brake hardware kit for an 1987, and no one has one listed anywhere. I did see however that they have one for 1991. Comparing the parts diagram from a 1991 and a 1987 the parts look identical... Every part number looks the same... I don't see why the kit for the 1991 shouldn't fit? Please correct me if I am wrong because I don't want to order it unless its right.
Donn29

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »

I'm not too familiar on the MK3 stuff.  But sounds like it should work.  Parking brake parts are hard to find. 
ryu77us

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 08:01:54 AM »

Okay so it is known lol, I ordered a aftermarket parking brake hardware kit from Rockauto for a 93 Supra for 15 bucks. I also ordered every part that was a different part number for an 87 from Toyota. The part numbers which were different were the pins, washers, and cups for the springs. Got everything home and compared to the Rockauto 93 kit, the washers under the springs are identical, the cups for the top of the spring is a different design, but they will work. The pins are basically identical except the way they are bent is slightly different, but nothing that should stop it from going together. So long story short, you can use a parking brake hardware kit from a 93' + Supra on a MK3 despite the compatibility chart saying you can't.
Supra-120

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »

Hi. My name is Cec. I have an 87 MK III and just recently put a head gasket on the 7MGTE, and there should be no problem from here on.
Just use a good quality gasket with ARP studs, torque it to 75 - 80 ft. lbs., and you are good to go.
As for the W 58, yes it will take punishment, but it's life will be shortened.
If you want it to live, then use it right. If you want to play, then beef it up. If you play a lot, then you will need to beef everything up. Simple, ($$$$$$$).
Depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Performance = $$$$.
Sit and plan it out on paper, do the research and go forward with your budget in mind.
Have fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: